主题

帖子

152万

积分

管理员

积分
发表于 2019-7-23 00:52:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Chances.are.jpg

近日在研究英语写作时,通过Google搜索,发现一个网名为“oscilatingcretin”的网友在国外知名问答网站StackExchange(后面简称“SE”)的英语学习版块,提到一个关于求证从句“Chances are, he overslept this morning.”是否语法正确的问题,引用如下:
You've most certainly heard this:

Chances are, he overslept this morning.

I realize the comma is a splice, but it's there only to emphasize the pause that usually accompanies it. When written out, it should probably look like this:

Chances are he overslept this morning.

However, when you read into it, it doesn't make any sense. I would say that using such a clause is grammatically incorrect. Instead, I believe people should be saying:

The chances are high that he overslept this morning.

Am I correct?  Asked Jan 27 '13 at 2:45

一位网名为“user21497”找了两首歌,并摘录了部分歌词,回复如下:
Five For Fighting - Chances lyrics // Chances are when said and done // Who'll be the lucky ones // Who make it all the way? // Though you say I could be your answer // Nothing lasts forever // No matter how it feels today. /// – user21497 Jan 27 '13 at 2:51

CHANCES ARE LYRICS - JOHNNY MATHIS // Chances are 'cause I wear a silly grin // The moment you come into view, // Chances are you think that I'm in love with you. // Just because my composure sort of slips // The moment that your lips meet mine, // Chances are you think my heart's your Valentine. – user21497 Jan 27 '13 at 2:51

五分钟之后,提问者“oscilatingcretin”看到该回复,直接反问道:
Why are you quoting song lyrics? Song/poetry lyrics are almost never gramatically correct.  –  oscilatingcretin  Jan 27 '13 at 2:56

20分钟之后,网友“user21497”给出了如下回复:
Because people use the language the way they use it, & most poetry & song lyrics are (but may be stupid) grammatically correct (as those in the quotes are. I don't know where you get the idea that Song/poetry lyrics are almost never gramatically [sic] correct. Not from any examination of reality, that's for sure). In any case, unless you're asking about formal writing, the kind used for academic journals, it doesn't matter whether "Chances are" is grammatically correct. All that matters is whether the reader/listener understands what you're saying. It's strictly a style choice. – user21497 Jan 27 '13 at 3:16

提问过去10个多小时后的当日下午,网友“TimLymington”(该网友在“SE”享有3.2万左右声誉值)回复道:
While we're being pedantic: is most certainly short for almost certainly (which is at least as informal as Chances are) or is it intensifying certain, in which case it suffers from the most unique problem? – TimLymington  Jan 27 '13 at 15:33

网友“Barrie England(该网友在“SE”享有13万左右声誉值)答道:
In formal writing, the sentence would appear in its full form as The chances are that he overslept this morning. In the form Chances are, he overslept this morning it will normally only be found in speech, or in the most informal writing, where we frequently contract what would be found in more formal contexts. That doesn't make it ungrammatical. It makes it informal. Any who condemn informal language are insensitive to the great variation possible in English and the ability of the language to adapt itself to meet the varying needs of its speakers.  Barrie England  Jan 27 '13 at 9:31

网友“StoneyB”评论“Barrie England”,附和道:
I think you've nailed it. And in fact, I think that bare Chances are would be acceptable in many formal contexts. I for one would not hesitate to use it in an academic LitCrit article; but the humanities are less rigid than other disciplines. – StoneyB  Jan 27 '13 at 15:04

网友“Amanda witt”(该网友在“SE”享有1千左右声誉值)答道:
Your final sentence is more correct, but the first one with the comma could also be used in this situation, but in a more casual setting. If you were speaking/writing formally, you'd probably use the last one.  answered Jan 27 '13 at 2:47

提问者“oscilatingcretin”针对“Amanda witt”的答案给予回复,引用如下:
Regardless whether or not the setting is casual, grammar is grammar. It is still grammatically incorrect to say, "I ain't got no money" while hanging out with your friends at the mall on a Saturday afternoon.

网友“user21497”针对“oscilatingcretin”回复“Amanda witt”的内容给予了如下评论:
@os: OMG! You're even more of a pedant than the peevish pedants here, and I'm one of them. Does anybody else really care? amanda witt's answer is correct. All three sentences are grammatically correct, but the first two are casual and in an informal register that isn't allowed in decent blue-nosed academic journals. Grammaticality isn't black & white in every case. Sometimes it's grey. And sometimes it's disputed. "Grammar is grammar" is a vacuous statement: all tautologies are.  – user21497 Jan 27 '13 at 3:21

网友“StoneyB”针对“Amanda witt”的回答给予了如下评论:
I'd go farther: there's no 'degree of correctness' here, and "Chances are he overslept" is entirely grammatical. – StoneyB  Jan 27 '13 at 15:08

网友“user32480”针对“oscilatingcretin”的问答,给出了如下回复:
'Chances are' is usually immediately followed by that, and I don't think it's grammatically incorrect. If you look here, it says that 'chances are that' is an equivalent of 'the likelihood is' and they both sound correct.  –  user32480  answered Jan 27 '13 at 6:34

网友“Jon Hanna(该网友在“SE”享有4.5万左右声誉值)针对“user32480”的回答给予了如下评论:
Your "usually" is less than half the time judging by books.google.com/ngrams/… – Jon Hanna
Chances-are.jpg
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

影视新人

积分
发表于 2022-1-27 23:02:11 | 显示全部楼层
感觉有点深奥
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

在线客服
QQ:137000528 周一至周日:09:00 - 21:00
俱乐部地址:北京市朝阳区朝阳路71号锐城国际

影视英语角眼于语言实际应用能力,融汇先进务实的教学方法和时尚前沿的科技理念,整合听觉、视觉、情景交流与快速阅读四大功能,从多个维度帮助英语学习者全面提升听、说、读、写各项技能。

技术支持: Owen Lee  @ 英语我帮您© 2013-2019 影视英语角

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|有奖任务|影视英语角 ( 京ICP备17000586号-3 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 17:28 , Processed in 0.063771 second(s), 28 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表