[复制链接]

主题

帖子

5万

积分

管理员

积分
发表于 2019-5-28 18:32:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Comes with the territory:If you say that something comes with the territory, you mean that you accept it as a natural result of the situation you are in. (理所当然,必然随之而来的)

Comes with the territory.jpg

这个短语最早出现在20世纪后半期。它很快地流行了起来,并且跳出了销售行业,用来泛指“必然随之而来、无法逃避的结果”。这里的“之”往往是好事,而“结果”往往是坏事。也就是说,你想要好东西,必须承受随之而来的不好的东西,因为两者是“搭配销售”的商品,一个都不能少。

虽然“好事”和“坏事”的组合有太多的可能性,但这个短语在日常对话中最常见的组合不外乎两种:一是好工作(或高职位)和麻烦的责任一起来;二是明星待遇和无法保障的个人隐私一起来。

举例如下:

Sam: How do you like your new job as an article?(觉得这份编辑的新工作怎么样啊?)

Chloe: l love it! It feels great to see an article come out exactly the way I want it Gives me a whole lot of satisfaction. (我非常喜欢!看到文章可以完全按我的要求发表出来的感觉实在太棒了。有很大的满足感。)

Sam: But I guess you have to deal with the reporters' complaints o a dailv basis, right? I used to be one. and I always hated it when myeditor changed my working,or even my punctuation.(但我想你肯定要天天对抱怨吧?我以前当过记者。每次编辑改我的用词甚至是候,我都很不爽!)

Chloe: Oh yeah, you are right.It comes with the territory, so that 's fine by me Plus, if you can't take any heat ,you shouldn't be an editor in the first place.(你说的没错。不过既然当了编辑,这是肯定逃不掉的事,所以我不介意。再说,如果你完全不能应付这样的情况,你显然也不该坐编辑的位置。)

Comes-with-the-territory.jpg

当然,come/go with the territory也可以用在非常有中国特色的语境里。不妨再来看看这个例子:

Edgar:How was your Chinese Newyear? Did you get any red envelopes?
(春节过得如何?有没有收到红包?)

Gregory: Yeah. I got a decent amount of money. but honestly. I'm never fond of this holiday.
(收到了,钱还不少,不过说实话,我从来不喜欢这个节日。)

Edgar: Why's that?(为什么啊?)

Gregory: Because you get to see those relatives you only see once or twice a year. And they always ask the same questions: Do you have a girlfriend? When are you going to get married ? Are you going to have a baby?
(因为你会见到那些一年才见一两次的亲戚。他们总是问同样的问题:你有没有女朋友啊?你什么时候结婚啊?你准不准备要孩子啊?唉……)

Edgar: Ha, I know what you are talking about. but that's Chinese New Year for you . Comes with the territory. (哈,我懂你的意节嘛,就是这样的。躲也躲不了。)

关于“come/go with the territory“这个短语的出处及由来:

This expression originated in the 1900s. It originally applied to sales territories. Traveling salesman had to accept the negative aspects of their sales area. This is because the negative parts of the area could not be removed from the overall area.

If the salesperson wanted to make sales, he had to do his best to deal with any problems present in his territory. The Arthur Miller play, Death of a Salesmen, helped to popularize this expression.

Over time, people began to apply this expression to situations other than sales territories.

关于“come/go with the territory“这个短语的使用场景:

Accompany specific circumstances, as in You may not like the new coach, but he comes with the territory, or As the editor, you may not like listening to complaints, but it comes with the territory.

This term uses territory in the sense of "sales district," and the phrase originally meant that traveling sales personnel had to accept whatever problems or perquisites they found in their assigned region. Today it is applied in many other contexts.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

在线客服
QQ:137000528 周一至周日:09:00 - 21:00
俱乐部地址:北京市朝阳区朝阳路71号锐城国际

影视英语角眼于语言实际应用能力,融汇先进务实的教学方法和时尚前沿的科技理念,整合听觉、视觉、情景交流与快速阅读四大功能,从多个维度帮助英语学习者全面提升听、说、读、写各项技能。

技术支持: Owen Lee  @ 英语我帮您© 2013-2019 影视英语角

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|有奖任务|影视英语角 ( 京ICP备17000586号-3 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 01:40 , Processed in 0.072494 second(s), 35 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表